This class will earn 7 Professional Development hours that can be used towards meeting your PMI and IIBA certifications. This is an instructor-led interactive class.
Conflict is inevitable and has significantly high impacts to a project team’s ability to perform well. It seems to naturally occur during the negotiation of budget, scope, time, resources and more. Conflict can be caused by differences in values, goals, needs, expectations, personalities, attitudes and perceptions. This course is designed to improve project managers, business analysis, and project team’s skills in handling and resolving conflicts to increase the effectiveness of negotiations and a more productive team environment.
This course offers tools and techniques to effectively manage conflict on project teams by providing an understanding of conflict, styles of conflict management, and utilization of conflict by negotiation to achieve conflict resolution. This course shows participants how to gain insight into how to better manage themselves and relationships to prepare for approaches to conflict management and to handle difficult situations.
Internationally Endorsed and Aligned with Best Practices
Bob the BA is an IIA Endorsed Education Provider. All courses are aligned with the BABOK 3.0. Earn PDU / CDUs for both IIBA and PMI certification or recertification.
Enterprise Solutions Instructor - Bob Prentiss is our fearless leader and innovator. Bob is passionate about helping you think, learn and work differently. Bob is an awesome trainer, speaker, mentor, coach, and author. A collector of all things dragon related and Dr. Who fan. Bob is CBAP certified with 25+ years of experience in corporate America; with a background in managing BA centers of excellence, assessing and managing BA maturity, quality, and competency.
Our goal at Bob the BA is to help you think, learn and work differently so you can make an impact back on the job. If you always do what you have always done, you will end up right where you were before you were trained right? So at Bob the BA we take a different approach because we know we learn best by doing and not through lecture. Our courses are always hands-on, practicing through exercises, activities, facilitated discussions, case studies, role play, workshops, printed materials and presentations.
Who Should Take This Course?
Business Analysts, Project Managers, Business Leadership, Project Team Members and others interested in being able to manage conflicts and negotiate within the organization for more effective results.
- Understand conflict management and how it is used
- Understand your personal and other team members conflict management style
- Use techniques to take the emotional response out of the conflict
- Understand and practice negotiation techniques to resolve conflicts
- How to use negotiation techniques to reduce or resolve conflict
- Conflict management definition
- Understanding types of conflict and typical causes
- Identify your role in the conflict
- Understand different approaches to conflict management
- Identify your personal conflict management style
- Identify the conflict management styles of others
- Determine the best approach to each of the conflict management styles
- Positive and negative emotions in conflict
- Warning signs of high emotions
- Dealing with personal emotion and emotion in others
- Cooling down techniques
- Separating people from the problem
- What is negotiation and why do we need it?
- What we can and cannot negotiate in the workplace
- The competencies, skills, and characteristics of a good negotiator
- The stages of negotiation
- Behaviors during negotiation
- Techniques for negotiation
- Uncover needs during negotiation
- How to adapt to the situation at hand when negotiating
- Plan an effective approach for negotiation
- How influence enhance negotiations and conflict management
- How critical thinking skills enhance negotiations and conflict management
- Recognize and dealing with conflict in negotiations
- Using good communication skills during negotiation
- Adjust your communication style during negotiation
- Knowing yourself, knowing others
- Being more strategic
- Negotiating across multiple mediums: face-to-face, phone, email, virtually
- Creating an action plan